Preparing your garden for the summer is one of the best ways to add some color! Garden fencing can make your plants and flowers more attractive and functional.
For example, you can use it to make the garden neat and tidy. Also, you can prevent weeds from coming in your garden or combine your fence with other plants and flowers to create a special look for your yard.
Decorative garden fences isn’t only beautiful, but is also a great way to showcase your yard and its ornamental features. It offers privacy, security and serves as a decorative element that can also protect your plants.
What is Decorative Garden Fences?
Decorative Garden Fencing is the type of fence that can make your garden look more beautiful. Normally, they are made from a wide variety of different materials. Some of the most popular materials used for this purpose include wood or vinyl.
When it comes to the design and construction of gardens, fencing is an essential component. The purpose of decorative garden fencing is to be aesthetically pleasing and create the desired effects that one desires for their garden.
Decorative garden fence is the type of fence that can make your garden look more beautiful. Normally, they are made from a wide variety of different materials. Some of the most popular materials used for this purpose include wood or vinyl.
Since it is part of the overall design of the garden, it should be made to co-ordinate with other elements in the garden. Although fencing can be made to contain animals or used for security, most decorative fencing is primarily for ornamentation.
Parts of Decorative Garden Fences
Most decorative garden fences are made up of four main parts: the rail, picket, post and diagonal or panel gate. This is a general overview of these components.
The rail is where the decorative fence boards are attached. The rail is usually a solid material; however, sometimes a slat or board made from a material which gives different movement to the rail is used.
The pickets are the vertical posts that hold the decorative fencing boards. The most common material for the pickets is wood. However, some decorative fencing will have pickets made of metal, plastic or composed of different materials to give an interesting look.
Posts are the vertical columns that hold up the rail and picket of a decorative fence. The posts usually are wood or metal, but can be made of plastic.
Diagonal or Panel Gate
This is a gate that has two diagonal bars on the rails. The bars can vary in shape. Some are arches, and some are more traditional. The gate can also be in different materials than the rest of the fencing.
While many homes and businesses have plain concrete fences as a security barrier, decorative garden fencing is used primarily to add beauty and style to a garden. Decorative fences are made to look realistic, not like a brick or rock wall.
The Benefits of Decorative Garden Fences
Decorative garden fencing can be a great way to add privacy and security for your beautiful garden, and it comes with so many benefits! If you’re considering installing decorative fence panels, we recommend reading through this list to see if any of the following points are relevant to you.
The best thing about a fence is that you get the privacy that you want without giving up your sense of openness in the home. You can either completely enclose your garden for complete privacy or just have short sections around trees or other aspects that would normally block your view.
Fences also provide security by blocking intruders from entering onto private property. This is especially important because fences are much tougher than traditional walls or hedges, and they are a much more effective way of blocking intruders. Some people even install alarms in their garden fences.
You May Also Like: Hog Wire Fence
Decorative fencing is also a great way to add some creativity and personality to your garden. Fences are available in so many different designs and materials that you can really make your garden look amazing.
Easy to Install
Another great benefit of decorative fences is how easy they are to install. You can have the panels custom-made to fit your garden perfectly, and you will only have to spend a few hours installing them. This is much easier than installing permanent walls that you will have to pay someone else to build for you.
Another great benefit of decorative fences is that they are usually very inexpensive to install. You can get top-quality panels for less than $100 and installation costs are usually included in that price.
Easy to Remove
If you ever want to remove your fence, you can do so with great ease. You can remove the panels and put them back in the box to store them safely until you want to use them again.
Last a Lifetime
Most decorative fences are extremely durable, so they are sure to last for many years and remain in great condition.
Decorative fencing is also eco-friendly. It doesn’t require any manufacturing processes, and it is made from recycled materials that have been minimally processed.
Decorative fences are elegant. They are much more beautiful than a conventional brick wall, and they allow you to express your creativity when choosing the design.
Types of Decorative Garden Fences
The use of gardening tools has evolved over time. Originally, gardeners had to rely on their own knowledge and intuition when it came to choosing a fence for their garden.
Many opted for wooden fences, but today, due to new technology and materials that have become popular in the market, there is no reason a gardener can’t find the perfect fencing that they need for their vegetable patch or flower bed.
There are many different types of fences available today that are lightweight, easy to put up and take down and look beautiful at the same time. The following is a brief guide on different types of fences so you can choose which one will benefit you best before purchasing.
1. Bamboo Fence
The first fence that we will be talking about is the bamboo fence. A bamboo fence is a great choice for a garden because it blends well with the natural surroundings and it is designed to add functionality and beauty to the garden.
- Lighter than other types of fencing, meaning this type of fencing isn’t as heavy and hard on the garden.
- Bamboo is fire resistant
- Bamboo isn’t a wood, therefore it won’t rot or decay over time in the garden.
- Bamboo is an environmentally friendly product.
- Easy to clean.
- Only comes in certain colours (bamboo shades).
- Can be damaged by strong winds.
- Bamboo has a tendency to split.
- Durability is an issue with bamboo fences.
- Rattan material is used in the manufacture of bamboo fences which are prone to wear and tear.
2. Chain Link Fence
Chain link fences are good for home yards, garden and parks alike because they provide a high level of security without the need to spend a fortune on home improvements.
- Strong fence
- Chain link fences are available in many colours and designs.
- Easy to install
- Shorter lifespan than wooden or bamboo fences.
- Chain link fences are not as durable as they used to be.
3. Pergolas and Arch Workings
Pergolas and arches have changed the way that gardeners are able to design their gardens. Using these structures, it is possible to create a garden that looks like a piece of art.
- You can use pergolas and arches for many different reasons.
- They add beauty to your garden and at the same time, they create a structure that is heavy enough to withstand strong wind gusts.
- They are versatile and can be used in many different ways.
- You can use pergolas and arches to grow vegetables and flowers.
- Pergolas and arches are expensive.
- You will need a lot of labour power to install trees and plants.
- Pergolas and arches need to be maintained regularly since they are products that are created using natural resources.
4. Concrete Fencing
Concrete fencing is the most common type of fencing. It is one of the most popular fence materials available on the market.
- Concrete is a versatile product and can be used in many different ways.
- Highly durable, concrete has a very long lifespan as compared to other fencing options.
- Concrete fencing also has a resistance to corrosion and can be easily maintained.
- Concrete is very heavy and will need a concrete mixer to be installed.
- Concrete fencing cannot withstand strong winds.
5. Trellises and Wooden Fences
A trellis and wooden fences are another great way to have a garden that is both functional and beautiful. Most modern trellises are designed to give off a classy, sophisticated look.
- Trellises and wooden fences are easy to install.
- Since they are made of wood, you don’t need to worry about them breaking.
- Wooden fences and trellises are available in numerous different styles and designs.
- Wooden fences tend to be more expensive as compared to other fencing options.
- The wood used in wooden fences is susceptible to rot and mold. Proper maintenance is a must.
You May Also Like: Pallet Fence Ideas
6. Retaining Walls and Privacy Fences
Retaining walls and privacy fences work well in both urban and rural areas because they provide the garden with a more structured look that will make it appear more sophisticated as well. Retaining walls are also easy to install and they give off a strong, solid structure.
- Retaining walls and privacy fences provide privacy and can act as barriers.
- Retaining walls serve as ideal walls for gardens, especially when they are installed in urban areas.
- Retaining walls help to reduce water runoff in garden areas because they allow water to drain quickly.
- Beautifying an otherwise drab or unattractive area of the yard by the use of a retaining wall.
- Retaining walls help to keep soil from washing or blowing away.
- Creating a retaining wall requires cutting, digging, and hauling rocks and soil.
- Retaining walls are not as strong as they used to be.
- Retaining walls can cause damage to the foundation of a home, making it necessary to make modifications or repairs.
Now that you know a little bit more about the different types of fencing, you will be able to determine which is the best type for your garden.
What is the best fencing for gardens?
The best fencing for gardens is wood. Wooden fences are good for gardens because they have a long lifespan and they are easy to install. Wooden fences also come in various colors that can match your own personal taste and style, which will allow you to make your garden both functional and beautiful.
What is the cheapest way to fence a garden?
The cheapest way to fence a garden is by using chain link or bamboo fences. These are both good, affordable options that will provide the garden with a high level of security as well as add beauty and functionality.